Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Hola Muchachas! What's up?!

As you can tell by my Blog title, I am Puerto Rican and overweight. Now, in a world in which people of all races admire, adore and lust after a certain Ms. Jennifer Lopez, this ain't cute. When I was growing up in the Bronx I never thought about being a fat adult. But I guess eating what we (boriquas) eat, unless I was careful there really was no way around it. All of my friends have had a continuing struggle with their weight as well. My mom, my sister, even my brother.

And though there are some very beautiful heavyset women out there, women who are comfortable in their skin and love their bodies, I am not one of them. I hate feeling fatigued, not being able to wear 90% of my wardrobe (yes! I kept my skinny clothes, y que?), being invisible to the opposite sex and not feeling like a good example for my kids.

Medically it's tough as well, and yes, Honesty Alert: I smoke. I know I shouldn't, I've tried to quit like a zillion times and still smoke. And like any true NewYorican that does, I smoke Newports UGH! I also have high cholesterol for over a year now.

At 205 lbs on my 5'1" frame I am miserable. I'm depressed, y no puedo mas.

I felt this way once before and though I was nowhere near 205 lbs (this is my heaviest weight ever) I was still unhappy. I decided to lose weight and get healthy and I did. And you know what? I want that feeling back. Feeling like I could take on the world, the great feeling of looking into my closet and being able to slide into a size 6 dress for my friends wedding, feeling like the prettiest girl in the room. It's MINE and I want it back. Now all I have to do is figure out how.

I will be posting pictures as soon as I figure out how on Blogger and no you will NOT be able to see my face, I would be mortified, but I will show you my rolls of fat, because hey, if you are reading this, you know my struggle.

And just because I can, I will now list my favorite foods, the foods that I eat WAY too much of and am now paying the price for:

Pernil
Arroz con Maiz
Pasteles
Empanadas
Cafe Con Leche
Flan
Fried Chicken
Lasagna
Cheese Burgers
Coke (the soda of course)
Tacos
Tamales
Fries
Pizza
Buffalo Wings

Hmm, if only I could find a way to make all of these things in a healthy version I would be straight. lol

And no, my income does not support Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, Nutri-System, The Zone, a personal chef or any of the rest. This will have to be done the old fashion way:

EAT LESS, MOVE MORE!

I will post my rants and I have some doozies, about being the invisible fat girl and keep you posted on my life, the life of a big fat Puerto Rican.

Feel free to leave me a post and I will try and work this properly where you can email me as well.

Hasta

No comments: